KOREAN MAKEUP

I still remember my first visit to a dedicated Korean cosmetics store the phrase “like a kid in a candy store  comes to mind. It was probably as close to that experience as you can have as an adult. I was a die-hard North American and European luxury cosmetics consumer and hard to impress. Having worked as a makeup artist for years and as a student of esthetics in college, cosmetics has always been a big part of my life.

Even my first real job out of high school was working at a department store cosmetics counter. By the age of twenty, I had worked my way up to counter manager for a luxury brand before quitting to become a freelance makeup artist. I had been on both sides of the makeup aisle, so to speak, and pretty much thought I’d seen and knew it all. It had been a long time since the world of cosmetics retail excited me.

Upon walking into that first Korean cosmetics store, a cheery, brightly lit space lined with gorgeously packaged goodies, I was in awe. It was exhilarating! Each shelf was teaming with products calling to me to pick them up and explore. To my delight, not only was the packaging exciting, so were the formulations. I very quickly found items that not only matched the quality of my old holy-grail favorites; they surpassed them.